Five years ago today, my mom passed away. It was sudden, shocking, tragic, but not surprising. Whenever I think about not having my mom around anymore, I think of other friends who have also lost their moms. Most often, I consider Andrea, who lost her mom to Alzheimer's, a cruel, unforgiving illness; or Eve, who's mom committed suicide, as well; or my husband and his siblings, who lost their mom unexpectedly three years ago. I think of all the people I don't know who have lost their moms to terrible circumstances. And all the wars and mean people who steal others' lives.
I think of the beautiful acts of kindness that were shown to our family when people found out my mom was gone. Tiffany W. and her parents sent a beautiful bouquet for the funeral. Amanda D.'s parents purchased a gorgeous casket spray and came up for the funeral. Amanda picked up my wet tissues that I had dropped on the pew, not knowing what to do with them when we had to exit, and quietly disposed of them for me. Some of my brother's friends from Hawaii sent a lei for my mom's gravestone. Andrea wrote me a note telling me some kind words my mom shared with her one time, and other fond memories she had of her. Becky W. brought over a lovely framed print of an angel sending a child off to earth. (I identified with that because I was just waiting for one more week to take a pregnancy test so I could let my family know we were expecting Thomas.) Not only Lacey II ward, but it seemed like the entire stake, provided more food than we knew what to do with, and put together a lovely reception for our families after the service. More people than I know of came from all over to help out and show their love and concern for us.
I learned a lot from my mom's passing. I learned to always tell people you love them; you never know when you won't be able to do so anymore. I learned to forgive quickly and not worry so much about things (though, honestly, that one is easier said than done). I learned that the mom is the nucleus of the family; her absence leaves a huge whole in the center. I learned that you're never too old to be devastated by the loss of your child. And I learned that 60 is actually pretty young to die; There is a lot of life to live after 60.
I hope that those of you who have moms alive still will call them and tell them how much you love them. Write them a note, or take them out on a date. Take lots of pictures, and create fond memories. Hug them. And those of you who are moms, take care of yourselves so you will be around for a long time for your children, physically, spiritually, and mentally. They need you.
9 comments:
Kristi,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. Thank you for your post. It really puts life's hardships into perspective when we realize how short life can be.
Great reminder. Great post. I'm so sorry that you both have already lost your moms, at such young ages! I can't even imagine.
Kristi, what a beautiful post. I too am sorry for your loss. You never know the void that will be left when someone is gone until they really are gone. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time of remembering.
Wow Kristi, it was just what I needed to hear, it was beautiful and thank you (since I know you wrote this for my heart) My mom died of cancer two years ago today. I am still not able to always remember that she isn't here for me, I need her and miss her so! Thank you for the sentiment.
Connie
What a great post, Kristi. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I, too, am so sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry about your mom, but thanks for reminding us how important it is to appreciate what we have while we have it.
Thank you for putting into words the feelings of the heart. The emptiness is real, and your observation of so much life to live after 60 is so insightful. You are loved by many. Please continue to be there for them.
what a beautiful testament to your mom. thank you for sharing
Thanks, Kristi- I needed to hear that. I'm glad your back out in the blogoshpere!
Post a Comment