We took the kids to A&W/KFC today for 90cent rootbeer floats, and overpriced overcooked chicken. There was a long line, so the kids and I went to wait at a table. McKenzie and her friend were awesome. They are almost 8 and just turned 8. Thomas was pretty good. He is almost 5. Mason (3.5) and Megan (2) were all over the place. I was able to keep them occupied for a short while, but soon they wanted to run around the restaurant and climb on other tables and chairs, and scream. (Of course I didn't let them run all willy nilly, but it was difficult to keep them in check. I was tied up with Thomas, Mason and Megan while Michael stood in line and ordered the food.) When the food came, Megan poured half of her rootbeer float on herself. She got very upset about it and cried loudly. Mason kept tilting his glass too much, and spooning out his drink, spilling it all over him. Neither one wanted to eat much. Thomas and McKenzie weren't too impressed with the food, either.
So, my note to my future self is this: DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 5 TO A RESTAURANT WITHOUT A PLAY AREA. And in case I've blocked out my young motherhood when I am older, may I remind myself to have compassion on families with young children. Believe that the parents are doing the best they know how, and offer kind smiles and support where possible. Kids are kids, not little adults.
3 comments:
Wow, lots to catch up on!
Good luck with the potty training, I cannot imagine trying to do two at once! But there is nothing cuter than a little naked baby bum.
Good job on the garden, we planted ours yesterday too, but I'm fairly positive I will kill everything. As much as I try not to, I kill every plant I've ever had.
And good McKenzie looks like a real pro at that piano! I'm so glad she is enjoying it. Can't wait to hear her play! :-)
I LOVE your honesty...and the potty pics, those will be good blackmail photos.
Thanks for taking Ashley with you. I know she had a blast! I am so glad her and McKenzie are such good friends! :)
Sounds crazy, I didn't know you didn't know the no kids at a place with no play area rule or I would have let you in on the secret.
Post a Comment