Monday, September 17, 2007

Our (non-) Hike to Palouse Falls

We took our kids and a friend of McKenzie's up to Palouse Falls last Saturday for a fun family hike. However, we left after afternoon naps and stopped at Subway for dinner on the way, so we didn't get there until about 6:30pm. First, we pulled out the jogging stroller and loaded it up with our various jackets, waterbottles, and youngest children. Then, we determined that we wouldn't be able to take it on the trails. So we unpacked it and put it back in the car. We were delayed again when we remembered to have the children go for potty breaks. After a short water break, we finally set off.

We decided to hike to the top of the falls, because we thought it would be an easier, shorter hike, rather than negotiating the steep trails downhill. The kids ran ahead of us, and at one point, Thomas walked up to a peak in the trail and stopped. When I caught up to him, I realized that he was not standing at a peak in the trail, he was standing at the edge of a cliff! I should have taken a picture of the edge and the warning sign, once I got him on safe ground, but I was too concerned about keeping the boys away from the precipice. (The older girls were smart enough not to approach the edge.) We decided that perhaps taking the kids hiking near sudden, steep drops wasn't the best idea. (We didn't realize the trails were so perilous ahead of time.)

We still wanted to take the kids on a hike, so we thought we'd see how the trail went down to the bottom of the falls. Unfortuately, it was getting dark. Rather than be foolhardy and stubborn, we called it a night after a few steps and headed back to the car. Hopefully we can try again in a few years. Next time, we'll leave earlier.

Palouse Falls

My trail buddy with his walking stick


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristi! It's so good to see your face! You are so beautiful! You have such a cute family! The little girl on the end isn't yours, is she?

Unknown said...

My daughter, Ellayna Mackenzie, has that mango colored shirt McKenzie is wearing in her "shiner" picture too!

Kristi said...

Hi Jennifer!
The girl on the end is McKenzie's friend. I posted this picture b/c it's one of the few w/our whole family in it. (Usually I'm behind the camera.) But I don't like that the wind is blowing my bangs off my face. I've got to find a better picture to post sometime! :-)

Anonymous said...

So did you ever make it to the falls, or is that picture from somewhere else? They are beautiful. I wish we had gone there when I lived there. Megan is getting pretty big. Are you growing out your hair? I am, and it is just getting to bob length.

Kristi said...

No, we never made it to the falls. Hence, the title Our (non-) Hike to Palouse Falls. We'll have to try again some other day... And yes, I am growing out my hair. I vow to never cut it short again! ;-)