Guess who dropped by today? Child Protective Services. Of course, it was a day in which I hadn't yet taken an opportunity to shower or even brush my hair. I just wanted to get my house cleaned. Anyway, it seems that when McKenzie showed up in school 2 weeks ago with a swollen black eye and a mark that "resembled a rug burn," a colleague of my visitors went to see McKenzie at school. I don't think McKenzie was aware that she had a black eye. I didn't make an issue of it when I saw it that morning, because I didn't want her to feel self-conscious about it. So, when the CPS lady asked her at school how she got her black eye, some of her answers were about stuffed animals attacking her during the night. She told the interviewer that her aunt told her that stuffed animals wake up during the night. (Thanks a lot, B! :-) ) Maybe they scratched her up. Then she added that her mom and her grandma both have black eyes. That comment really raised red flags for them. Michael and I were named as suspects and they paid an impromptu visit to see how things really go on in our home. They were looking for signs of abuse or neglect.
I can understand and appreciate their attention to the matter. Far too many kids get beat up by their parents or guardians and it isn't fair. It isn't right. I'm glad they're doing their job. They asked about the paternity of the children. I was confused at first, because in my mind, of course they're my husband's children! We've been married since before she was conceived. It says so right on the wall. (Our wedding date, that is.) But then they explained that it's more common for there to be an unknown father, or answers such as, "Well, he was my husband at the time, but he isn't her father." Yikes!
Part way through the interview, I realized why McKenzie said that both her mom and her grandma had black eyes. Recently, she had been watching me apply makeup and asked why I wore it. I explained that the concealer helped cover the circles under my eyes, and that my mom had dark circles, as well. I related that conversation to the case workers and they said that made sense. They took pictures of her bed and the nightstand and said they just needed some information from my husband and they would close the case. The fact that they now have a file on us raises concerns for me because Thomas is very accident prone. He's already knocked out his front tooth and cut his forehead to the bone. He fell on his teeth again last night and cut his inner lip. What if he gets a black eye or something and I send him to school? Will I get CPS called on me again? Scary.
3 comments:
oh dear. I can't believe they actually came. When I told her that her toys woke up during the night, I said that they had a meeting about how to please her better. Not to beat her up. You have to admit though, it is pretty funny.
It's hilarious now, but probably a lot intimidating at the time. You've got to write a book sometime, Kristi, I love to read your "version" of your life!
Thanks! I try to keep a journal so that someday I can at least put together some sort of synopsis for my children. I think it would be hilarious to read about my childhood... and my husband's come to think of it!
Post a Comment