Friday, October 19, 2007

Pumpkin Patch

McKenzie's class took a field trip to a local pumpkin patch this morning. It sounded like a lot of fun, so I took the boys and Megan, and we met up with her class. First the kids went and climbed a hay pyramid. McKenzie ran full tilt and climbed all over it with her friends. Thomas climbed to the very top. The wind was blowing so hard that I was concerned he might get blown over and fall off. (He did get blown over once, but it was in the center of the summit.) Mason didn't want anything to do with it until the end. We were quickly herded over to the animal barn, where the kids could pet little horses, see a duck, look at pigs covered with flies, and pet some other animals. Mason was enthralled with the duck. I think he was amazed to see a real one up close. His favorite book is Duck on a Bike.
After the petting zoo, we sanitized our hands and then the kids ran through a haybale maze a few times. Next, we were sent over to sit on more haybales in a covered area for some punch and cookies.
Afterwards, we went on a hayride to the pumpkin patch where the children selected their own little pumpkin. We had a great time.

McKenzie's teacher and some other moms offered to help hold Megan or carry my bag, which I really appreciated. I learned some things from this, though:
1. Babies would rather sleep than shlepp through a pumpkin patch at nap time; find a sitter.
2. Field trips are not leisurely outings; They are timed activities where you move quickly, so be ready to be mobile. (Read - don't weigh yourself down with large baggage, and don't even think about bringing a stroller. I left mine in the car. Better yet, get a sitter.)
3. Thomas did well, but Mason seemed a bit intimidated by the large crowds. I had my hands so full with the little ones that I wasn't able to get any really good shots of McKenzie. Lesson learned: leave the kids with a sitter. They'll have plenty of opportunities to go to the pumpkin patch with their own classes.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Wow. I miss out on so much fun when I am at work. I wish that I could go on some of these activities with you guys.

Anonymous said...

I finally have time to comment! yay :). that sounds like a lot of fun. I remember when mom would come on fieldtrips with me. Of course, there weren't any other kids to bring, so it was a lot easier for her. I still remember my second grade field trip to Northwest Trek, so McKenzie will probably remember this too. Great pictures. How did the pumpkin carving go?

Kristine and Philip said...

Fieldtrips are the best! I remember NW Trek too and trips to Pt Defiance, Museum of Flight and the Aquarium for starters! You look great, Kristi, and what a beautiful little family.
= )