Monday, April 20, 2009

Easter 2009

Easter is my favorite holiday because I love celebrating the Atonement and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I think about it all week long, starting on Palm Sunday, considering what the Savior might have been doing as each day passes until Resurrection morning. I love the blessing and the promise of the Resurrection. It is so comforting to know that I truly will see my mom, my grandpa and grandpa, and my mother-in-law again, and it's exciting to know that I'll finally have a chance to meet so many relatives that I've heard so much about. It is another testament to me of the overwhelming love that our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ have for every single one of us. It makes my heart swell to think of it.

Our Easter isn't as spiritual as I would like it to be. I try to get the kids to consider Palm Sunday, and the events leading up to the Garden of Gethsemane, the Crucifixion, and the Resurrection, but only McKenzie seems to grasp it a little bit. I can understand. I was a kid once, too.

This year, we started off Saturday morning by participating in a friends' fun run. The Easter Bunny was there handing out candy for the kids. We won some gift certificates in a drawing. As soon as we finished, we went over to the church to help set up for the Easter Egg Hunt. The kids and I went inside and worked on kids crafts while Michael helped disperse candy all over the field. Soon, the kids lined up and were released by age groups onto the grass. Mason was in heaven. Easter Egg Hunting is definitely his sport! Candy-filled eggs, regular candy, pudding cups, fruit snacks, and cans of rootbeer were strewn all over the lawn. All the kids had to do was pick them up. Mason needed no guidance; he filled his basket to capacity. Michael helped Megan, and Thomas and McKenzie knew the routine.

Here is Mason with his favorite thing: candy.

Megan loves this game.

Thomas trying out the candy.

I think the kids made out better than at Halloween!

We have 9am church, so the kids didn't really get to see their baskets until after church. Each of them received a pair of flip-flops and what I consider to be true Easter candy (Cadbury eggs, peeps, chocolate covered marshmallow eggs, robin's eggs). Fortunately for me, they didn't really like the fancy candy. They kept going for the loot they had scored the day before.

Hope you had a Happy Easter, too!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Those were great pictures of the egg hunt. I think I missed seeing you at church all together at least because I missed the matching dresses...I LOVE dressing girls in matching dresses for Easter...to bad I only have 1. They look really cute.

andrea said...

Those dresses are SO cute! did you make them...?
Those kids really did make a haul at the ward egg hunt! I can't believe it!

Grace said...

The girls look so cute, and the boys in those suits - ADORABLE!! Who doesn't love a basket full of free and easy candy? No wonder the kids love Easter so much!

tharker said...

It sounds like you do a great job of making sure they understand the true significance of Easter.

I LOVE your girl's outfits! Where did you find those cute skirts?

Kristi said...

Andrea and Tiffani, I found the girls' dresses at the Children's Place. They were having a sale and I got a great deal on them!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for inviting me to your blog! I've been reading your back stories too. It's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with potty training. They'll be done by kindergarten, right?