Friday, January 16, 2009

Snowboarding

Michael and I went snowboarding yesterday! We went to Anthony Lakes, OR, because it was less expensive and we though it would have decent powder. The price was right, but the snow was packed and icy. I figured that it was fine to learn in bad conditions, because I don't know any different, and I'll be that much better in good conditions. Plus, there weren't very many people for me to worry about running into.

It was my first time, and Michael has only been twice before, so we signed up for classes. At first, I was pretty intimidated, wondering how in the world I was going to do this. But by the end of the day, I could get in and out of my bindings, skate around pretty well, slide down the hill forwards (heel edge) and {somewhat} backwards (toe edge), and do "falling leaf", which is when you make your way down the hill going back and forth over it, like a falling leaf.
I was starting to learn how to turn toward the end, but I'll have to work on that a lot more the next time we go up. Michael was excited to learn to link turns and start shredding down the mountain. I look forward to when I'll can just be relaxed and go with it, instead of scared of smashing up my face. It was fun, though, and I look forward to the next time we go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like to much fun. I love to ski. If you guys go again let us know, I keep trying to get kim to put on a snowboard or ski;s.

tharker said...

That's so cool! I've never even been skiing. I'm impressed with how much you learned in one day!

Jen said...

Hey, I'm glad you had a good time! I was going to call and see how it went, see if there were any broken bones or anything, but thought I'd check the blog first and there you were!

Shayla said...

Eeek! You're braver than me. I've never had any desire to go skiing or snowboarding. It's cold and wet and scary! :-) Nate says I'm a wuss. Guess so. You look pretty cool, though in those pictures.