Sunday, January 25, 2009

Drip, Drip, Drip...

This is one of those blog posts I wasn't planning on doing. But it's a day in a life that started with 10 minutes of no supervision while I was on the phone and Nature called for Thomas. (Michael had left to run some errands and pick up McKenzie from a friend's house.) Thomas was being Mr. Independant and cleaned up after himself. Normally, that would be great. However, he overloaded the toilet with all of the Cottonelle wipes that I had just refilled in the dispenser, and then Mason flushed the toilet for him. I don't know how many times. I just know that I started to hear a drip, realized that my boys were too quiet, and ran upstairs to investigate. I found over two gallons of clear toilet water on the bathroom floor, and the carpet saturated at least two feet out and around the corners into the children's rooms on both sides of the bathroom.
My boys were hiding in their room. I was not happy. I put them in time out so they wouldn't get into any more trouble while I cleaned up the mess. They giggled and laughed most of the time. It was infuriating that they didn't seem to understand the gravity of the situation. So I took away all of their toys and sent them straight to bed without dinner. I think they finally got it. Later that night, Michael and I found water dripping from our fan in the family room onto our new coffee table. (We got new couches and furniture for our family room just before Thanksgiving.) It's still dripping today.


You know when you sit on the grass and it looks like it's dry, but it really isn't and your bottom gradually gets wet from the moisture in the dirt? That's how our carpet is. I sat on the dry area just beyond the wet part to change a diaper and by the time I got up, my jeans were wet. Not fun. The carpet is still very damp in the hall and both children's rooms for several square feet. The worst part is, it's wet with TOILET WATER. Michael keeps telling me that it's the same water as the water that comes out of all our other pipes, but because it came out of the toilet, it's disgusting to me. And I swear, it smells like toilet water, even though he says it shouldn't. Yes, let the Gibb times roll...

4 comments:

andrea said...

Oh man. You are so right, toilet water is infinitely more gross than regular water, even if it is "clean". You are a much stronger mom than me, way to go sending them to bed with no dinner!

Brenda said...

Oh no! Hey if you ever need it in the future, we have a steam vac carpet cleaner that is pretty good at sucking up water out of carpet (not that I ever hope your carpets get soaked again!)

Shayla said...

Oh man, Kristi. Doesn't sound like a very good day. It's awful when things soak into the carpet, what can you do beyond trying to soak up as much as you can and wait for it to dry? Here's to a better day today, with no disasters. :-)

Alicia Leppert said...

Oh, that is some day. I'm so sorry. I wouldn't turn on that fan for a while.