Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gardening

Thanks to my wonderful husband, we now have our very own square foot garden. It even has a spot where we can one day put a little outdoor bistro table! We've never had a garden before, so we're pretty excited about this one. We put it on the side of our house to utilize that area and hopefully keep it a little more protected from our kids, who love to dig.

We initially tried growing our plants from seeds in a little greenhouse but after a false start, the few seedlings that did make an appearance soon dried out. Michael remedied that by purchasing some tomato, strawberry, and squash plants to use in our garden. We planted them on Monday. So far, so good... but we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Laying the foundation.

The kids always want to help.

Planting seeds in 72 little starter pots - of which less than 20 sprouted and none survived.

Adjusting the watering system.

Planting.

Our garden! (Thanks, Michael!)

8 comments:

Shayla said...

Wow, I'm impressed! That looks really nice. How come our attempts at anything always look so measly next to everyone else's? :-) We didn't do the starter plants when we did ours. I just planted the seeds straight from the packet to the garden and it worked! I was shocked, what do you know, seeds really do grow in the ground! We only have one little square and it's only growing some strawberries, a tomato plant and a sunflower this year... Your little setup makes me want to come over and sit and watch them grow. :-)

Jan said...

That is so awesome Kristi. Way to go hubby.

Lisa Christine said...

That's fabulous!!! I will have to show this to Donald....maybe, just maybe, we'll get ambitious and give it a try! Thanks for inspiring!

Anonymous said...

wow. I didn't realize how big it was. I just pictured this tiny 2x2 ft greenhouse snuggled up on the side of the house. It is pretty cool looking. Way to go Michael. What happened to the gate on that side? Did you never have one? Hmmm. By the way, I am totally jealous of the amount of comments you get.

Brenda said...

Glad you ended up with the pre started plants. It does look great. It is a really satisfying feeling to eat stuff that you grow yourself!

tharker said...

It looks awesome! Good luck!

Momma Sarah said...

OH! I am so jealous! I'll have to repent for coveting your beautiful space for gardening! Actually, I can't complain! I did manage to fit some pots on our balcony and have quite the jungle out there! But, it's not pretty and organized like yours! OH! Gotta repent again! ha ha!! Way to go guys! Fab-O job!

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB Michael and kids! It looks WONDERFUL! You will get a LOT of veggies, the cement blocks will hold the heat too. Yum! We're coming from Idaho for dinner if it involves fresh corn and tomatoes!
Love, Grandpa/ma