Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July, 2008

I wasn't much of a photographer this Independence Day.

We started off the day bringing fresh muffins to the 8am ward breakfast for the 4th of July flag raising by the Boy Scouts. I was grateful for all those who gave of their time and talents to provide a delicious and patriotic way to start of the day. Michael had to leave during the breakfast for work. He was on call this past weekend. After the breakfast, we went home and got ready for our city's 4th of July parade. We were 30 minutes late, but we still went, and it wasn't as bad as I though it would be. We enjoyed the people in the parade and watching the parade. I didn't bring my camera to the breakfast nor the parade -- I was just trying to get to these places with my kids presentably in tow.

At one point, there was a boat in the parade on which the entrants were spraying water at the people watching on the side with water guns. As it turned the corner onto the street where we were watching, a home owner grabbed his hose, so when they sprayed in his direction, he got them back pretty good! Another guy on our side of the street ran up and squirted the contents of his water bottle at them, also catching them by surprise. We got a pretty good laugh at that. There were also some funny hecklers on our side of the street who were fun to listen to. They were full of good natured comments.

Jen came over w/her family for games and a barbeque. Again, I didn't take any pictures. It was all so laid back and relaxed that I didn't see the need to document it, but in retrospect, I wish I had taken a few photos. We made chocolate coated waffle cones and some of us had deluxe ice cream sundaes in them (others just had regular ice cream cones, or fancy ice cream cones in the waffle cones.) Finally we packed up and headed over to watch the fireworks. We were so used to them being over the river (from when we lived here before) that we didn't realize they would be in the same place they were last year. (NOT over the river.) Fortunately, Michael (who had arrived home after the parade) called his friend, Jeff, and found out where they were and where a good spot would be to watch them.

We finally brought our camera to this event. I was hoping to somehow figure out how to take pictures of the fireworks, but since I still have no real idea how to use my camera, and don't know much about setting the f-stops, we set it on auto or night focus for most of the pictures and wound up with a lot of mysterious squiggly lights in our photos and blurry fireworks. I seriously need to take a class. Here's what we got:

Thomas and Mason reacting to the explosions in the air

Our little group watching the fireworks

Megan's reaction to the colorful lights in the dark sky

By the end of the show, the boys were cuddled up on Michael, with Mason hiding his head under the blanket.



Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Heather said...

We went to the river for fireworks.....

Kristi said...

What?!? So were there some fireworks over the river after all? I'm so confused... I liked when the two cities got together and did their fireworks at the same time over the river. Now I understand they do them separately over land. What's the deal?

Alicia Leppert said...

Kristi- They do some over the river and some at the TRAC...at the same time. Two separate shows. Most people go to the TRAC, but I heard this year the river's were way better. Looks like a great 4th!

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

Even though you didn't get all the pictures you wanted, I think the ones you did take were just great. Mason is so funny. And that picture of Megan is really good - quite artistic.

Lisa Christine said...

oh how I love the 4th of July. Looks like you had a magical time! I love the expression on Megan's face!