Sunday, December 6, 2009

This Makes Me Smile...





We recently started watching a show called “The World’s Strictest Parents" on CMT. Each espisode takes two self-absorbed, disrespectful teenagers from different families and sends them to a home with strict parents. Basically, the teens are informed of the parents’ expectations and the consequences for breaking their rules. Inevitably, the teens rebel and have to face the consequences -- usually in the form of doing chores. I am always amazed when these horribly rebellious teens eventually respond in positive ways.

We’ve taken some of the techniques from the strict parents and applied them in our home. The first two weeks were a little rough. It was challenging to adjust to a different discipline style both for the kids and for us. However, we persevered and it has gotten a little easier. Bedtime is still a huge challenge. I don’t have a good answer for that, yet. But during the day when my kids are disrespectful or disobedient, we give them an extra chore. And if they have a poor attitude, we add on another chore. It’s still frustrating when they disobey, but not as much because now I see these moments as opportunities to apply consequences. I knew that part already, but I always struggled to come up with a suitable consequence that fit the crime. Not anymore! I just give them a job. It’s so much easier! So, I’m a happier mom, and Michael is a happier dad.
If we could just get sleeptime under control…

2 comments:

Grace said...

I have to watch that show!! Tyson has become a tween and has to talk back about everything! He is driving me crazy. I think I'll start doing the chore thing too. Maybe that will shut him up!

Sam Tester said...

That pic of Megan is THE BEST. :-)