Monday, October 26, 2009

Hawaii - Pearl Harbor

Michael and I recently returned from our vacation in Hawaii to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I thought I might touch on a few of the highlights of our trip.

We first went to Honolulu, where we visited Pearl Harbor. Michael soon learned that I love to read every single plaque about any monument, and every scrap of paper in any display. (I'm not exaggerating.) I don't remember a lot of what I read, but it was all very interesting, and very time-consuming. Now I know more about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and I have an even greater appreciation for those who sacrifice so much so that we may continue to enjoy our liberties, as well as for the freedom that we are still blessed to have.

Here is a shot of the Arizona Memorial, as we approached it. I was amazed at the size of it, and even more by the size of the ship beneath.


We also visited the USS Bowfin submarine. She was launched a year after the attack on Pearl Harbor, and is known as the Pearl Harbor Avenger. She is credited with 44 hits, and even sank a bus!
I couldn't get over how cramped it was inside. I kept trying to imagine 80 men working and living in there for weeks or months on end. I don't know how they did it. Michael got worn out on the tour, so he took the first opportunity to catch a little shut-eye.

We ended our day by visiting the USS Missouri, the ship on which the "Instrument of Surrender" was signed, thus ending WWII. Michael was intrigued by all of the workings inside the ship. I took lots of pictures, but I couldn't tell you much about them. I just thought it was cool to stand where the Japanese surrendered, and learn about the symbolism involved in that significant moment.

Here is a shot of the Arizona Memorial from the USS Missouri, the two "bookends" of the US involvement in WWII.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristi 11/02/09
So much fun! And so educational too. The Arizona Memorial commemorates a sacred place. For a long time the USS Missouri was docked at Navy Yard City, Bremerton, WA. We saw her there, you too, and stood by the plaque commerating the surrender of Japan before she was reactivated in 1984.
Excellent Blog. We loved hearing about your trip, you and your family. Love, Dad